Just to clarify the point of my earlier post: My concern is not with the source of the funds, but rather with the government using public funds to engage in campaigning, so as to influence voters.

Mark S. Scarberry

Pepperdine University School of Law

-----Original Message-----
From: Marty Lederman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 4:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Government Speech and Special Assessments

John Nagle asks:  "[I]f the tobacco assessment is permissible, could the government also tax movie studios to fund an educational campaign against violent entertainment?"

Perhaps not, but only because that would be a tax on speech itself -- i.e., on the practice of making movies -- and presumably the tax would be justified on the ground that the speech (violent films) causes harm.  The First Amendment doesn't permit that.

But the tobacco tax is a different story altogether.  Growing tobacco, and making tobacco products, is not constitutionally protected activity.  And a tax on tobacco products obviously does not violate the Constitution, without more.  So what's the constitutional concern with using the tobacco tax revenues for a goernment-run anti-tobacco campaign?  Or, more to the point, why would this possibly raise a First Amendment concern?  I assume all would agree that the government can run the anti-cigarette campaign using general tax revenues, and that the First Amendment would not in that case require any sort of refund to those who disagree with the campaign, those injured by the campaign, those who think the campaign is a waste of tax dollars, etc.  So why is there any more of a Free Speech concern when the campaign is (nominally) paid for by a special assessment on the tobacco industry?  (I say "nominally" because although the revenues for the campaign come from an "earmarked" bookkeeping account, nevertheless money is fungible, and therefore one can plausibly argue that the campaign is largely subsidized by all tax revenues, including, e.g., general income and sales taxes.)

Even assuming, as PG&E suggests, that corporations have a Barnette-like right not to speak, they're not being required to speak here.  Nor are they being required to "host" government speech on their personal property, as in Wooley.  There is not any risk of misattribution:  No one would think that the campaign expresses the views of the tobacco industry.  And there's no general First Amendment right not to have the government spend special assessments in a manner that the taxed entity disapproves -- Phillip Morris surely could not complain if the government used the special assessment to, e.g., develop a good-tasting no-nicotine cigarette.  So what, exactly, is the constitutional problem?

Marty Lederman