Hi Paul

 As to whether  Southern Slave states, in particular in Virginia and Maryland,
"encouraged" manumission, I think that you can make this argument based upon their
liberalization of manumission statutes during the revolutionary/post- revolutionary
war period. IN these states, a political decision was made during that period, within
a Slave society,  to remove restrictions on manumission, in response to antislavery
arguments. Against the background of a society which had previously severely
restricted manumission, (Colonial Virginia had required governmental consent to free
slaves, and permitted it only in exchange for meritorious service (such as revealing
slave resurrection plots). ), moving from this system, to one which freely permitted
manumission,  I think can be construed as "encouraging. "  See for example  A. Leon
Higginbotham, In the Matter of Color, Race and the American Legal Process, The
Colonial Period, and also Thomas Morris, Southern Slavery and the Law.Indeed,!
  at the time of the founding, I think it can be said that most of the Southern
states, except South Carolina and Georgia, were ambivalent at best to the institution
of slavery, and wanted to phase it out.

The liberalization of manumission policies changed in the early 19th century,  after
several events, including the revolution in Haiti and the Denmark Vesey rebellion
among others, which increased white fear of free blacks in their midst. So you get the
imposition of restrictions like those requiring freed blacks to leave the state, or
reimposing conditions on manumission. Also, slavery became more profitable.  But that
was post- founding. ( i don't know the jefferson reference you are referring to - but
I wouldn't be surprised if it was 19th century Jefferson, not 18th century Jefferson.
Don't know though.)

As to whether Southerners themselves thought of blacks as citizens - I don't think I'm
going that far - but  they wouldn't have to think of blacks as citizens themselves in
order to   have allowed blacks who were citizens of other states to be citizens of the
United States. For example, they could easily have pressed for race based restrictions
on citizenship in the text of the Constitution, like those which were in
naturalization laws of the period. But they did not. Instead, "citizen" was undefined,
and matters indicative of citizenship such as voting rights were left to the states
(See for example Ilya Somin's post  on this.)    In any event, if the founders are the
"people of the United States" and not just the members of the convention, their views,
nost just Pinckney's should control)

I've been thinking about these issues, because I have been doing a lot of research
(including your articles which are great!).  over several years (too many)  on how the
Supreme Court has addressed cases involving race over time, (From Marshall through the
Warren court)  and so I've spent a lot of time (too much time researching, not enough
time writing!)) trying to uncover the background historical context in which these
decisions were made. {My task was to figure out why they almost always seem to get it
wrong - I'll let you know when i decide.) Anyway, the more I have looked into it, the
more clear it is the simple stories we have learned about the history of race in
america are mostly  untrue.

And thanks for the reference to your new book. I'm putting it next on my to read list
for this project. (neverending project - but its been fun!)

yb

Professor Yvette M. Barksdale
Associate Professor of Law
The  John Marshall Law School