The Royal BC Museum Corporation is a dynamic, intellectually stimulating and
challenging environment.  As the public trustee of the Provincial collections,
we preserve and expand our collections, further the work of our curators,
archivists, conservators and collection managers and inspire the people of BC
and visitors from all corners of the world.  We are looking for someone to join
our conservation team as an Objects Conservator, with a focus on wet
archaeological materials and/or large wooden objects, including buildings,
canoes and totem poles.

Under the direction of the Head of Collections Care & Conservation, the
Conservator will act to preserve the Museum's collections by evaluating and
recording the physical condition, security and environment of collections in
storage, on exhibit, and on loan, planning and performing conservation
treatments for individual objects, and communicating the principles of
preventative conservation, research and treatments to staff, the general public
and other groups.

The role suits an individual with experience conducting and managing
conservation projects involving the treatment of wet archaeological material
and/or largescale wooden objects including historic buildings, canoes and totem
poles. Strong written and oral communication skills are required as is
excellent time management and an understanding of how to conduct basic
research.  As a member of a team within a diverse workplace, the ideal
candidate works well with others while developing and maintaining a standard of
excellence in collections care.  As a service provider, the successful
candidate will demonstrate tact, diplomacy and discretion and provide training
and professional direction to a vibrant group of volunteers and students.

The position requires a Master's degree in objects conservation and two or more
years of work experience in a conservation lab (or equivalent). A comprehensive
knowledge of current conservation theory, methods and ethics, along with
working knowledge of museology is required, including integrated pest
management and remote environmental monitoring.

This position requires Criminal Records Checks under the BC Public Service
Screening Policy and the Criminal Records Review Act and all applicants must be
legally entitled to work in Canada (have Canadian citizenship or permanent
resident status).

Please refer to the full job description and selection criteria to ensure your
application addresses the areas we will be looking at when assessing
suitability for this opportunity.

Applicants selected to advance to the second stage of the competition will be
required to submit a portfolio of their own conservation work.

An eligibility list may be established for similar permanent and temporary
positions over the next 12 months.

Please submit your application in pdf format by 11:59 pm (PST) September 15,
2019 quoting competition RB2019:08 via email to:
humanresour...@royalbcmuseum.bc.ca

Kasey Lee
Senior Conservator
Collections Care & Conservation