>versionated

Oh, now THAT's a keeper!

***

I've been wondering during this whole thread if their version involves
punching the heck out of the hemiola in the B part?

(hemiola: Italian for "I'm going to mess with your head by moving the
emPHAsis to a new syLAHble")

People who aren't paper-trained, don't flinch, ok?
You can do this visually.

Look at this version: http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/113330

and look **carefully** at the beginning of the sixth and seventh lines.

Look at the three heavy black horizontal "BEAMS" -- do you see how
they bind the notes into groups of four? That's the grouping we dance
to - we put our feet down on those "diggachucka, diggachucka"'s.
ONE-234 ONE -234. Our feet land on the ONEs.

Now look carefully at the blobby dark oval HEADS of the notes.

Do you see the four little slanty LOW-MEDIUM-HIGH, LOW-MEDIUM-HIGH bunches?

That's the hemiola.

For fiddlers, whacking that LOW note comes natural. The bow just
automatically stomps on it. ONE-23 ONE-23 ONE-23 ONE-23

So you end up with an internally conflicted

ONE-two-three-ONE    two-three-ONE-two  three-ONE-two-three.

which in playwriting is delicious. Internal conflicts are the spice of drama.

But in a dance?

IF the fiddlers whack the threes AND the rhythm section stays true and honest,
the bass/guitar/piano keep up a steady BOOM chuck  BOOM chuck,
you have zesty syncopation on top of expected solidity and all is well.

BUT.

If the band decides to be all cool and EVERYbody hits the threes,
everyone jumps on the hemiola accents with both feet, the dancers will
start to fall over theirs.

There's an obscure tune called "Catharsis" that sometimes inspires
this same unfortunate circumstance, which the composer regrets.