Dear All,

I have thought a lot about the nomenclature issues. I too went from ladies
to women and back to ladies, worked with armbands and bare arms, leaders
and followers, larks and robins, and have lapsed almost accidentally into
positional calling out of an abundance of trying not to say the wrong thing.

Yet, for all the talk about the talk, there remains, for me, a big problem
in the actual dancing.

"Comfort" and "comfortable" and words like that can be found in abundance
in the charters, mission statements, and announcements that dance groups
publish on their websites and read at dances. I'm in full agreement --
anyone who attends a dance should feel safe and comfortable. If a dance
community wants to change the words it uses in order to achieve that goal,
then I must, perforce, support that decision.

Still, I (he, him, his, etc.) personally feel distinctly uncomfortable
doing a ballroom swing with other same-gender dancers.

I've discussed my feelings with other dancers in my area, and I know I am
not alone, both among dancers of my gender and dancers of the opposite
gender. Yet, by even raising the question, I have also been described (not
to my face) in very unflattering terms.

About ten thousand years ago, when I first started dancing, there was a
commonly accepted symmetrical swing that was used. It was, in retrospect, a
little bit uncomfortable as it involved reaching the right arm across the
other dancer's body and hooking a hand around the other dancer's torso.  In
retrospect, not good. A two-hand turn is, in my mind, not a very acceptable
alternative to a ballroom swing. I have seen some folks do some lively
variations with crossed hands and such so that it can work, but I think
there is a better option that I have been encouraging dancers to learn. I
call it a Scottish swing. (John Sweeny includes it in his videos of
eleventy-seven ways to swing as a Northumbrian swing.)

Here's what it looks like. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HWhKWRn_jk>

I like it because I can give a clear signal for the kind of swing that I
want to do, I feel completely comfortable doing it with any dancer, and it
allows my swinging partner and me to enjoy a very satisfactory swing. It's
easy to learn. I have even found that I can teach it to dancers on the fly
in the middle of a dance.

Maybe it is not the best option for a symmetrical swing (an alternative to
a ballroom swing). If someone can propose a better alternative, I'll give
it a try.

But for all of the concern about words and terminology, it seems to me that
the overall dance community ought to pay attention to this particular
aspect of actually dancing.

Sincerely,

Ridge

Ridge Kennedy [Exit 145]

Hey -- I wrote a book! *Murder & Miss Austen's Ball. *
It's a novel with musical accompaniment. Now that's different.

Read all about it here! <https://www.hedgehoghousebooks.com>