> On Feb 10, 2023, at 1:51 PM, Winston, Alan P. <wins...@slac.stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Jeff Spero wrote:
>
> --------------
> But… as dancing resumed, there seemed to be a shortage of callers here and I
> ended up being asked to call the first dance since the beginning of the
> pandemic. I was not thrilled about calling ladies/gents, nor was I prepared
> to call larks/ravens. So I tackled positional calling, and there were no
> complaints. None. Just compliments.  I’ve called since then and have been
> experimenting with ECD terminology of first corners / second corners, and
> that seemed to work quite nicely - and it has the added benefit of helping
> bridge the gap between dancers who only dance in one of those communities.
> Hopefully, it will catch on with other local callers here, as that’s where
> I’m headed.
> -----------------
>
> That this is working is fantastic!  I've certainly found "corners" incredibly
> useful in calling ECD geographically.
>
> Do you use first corners as quondam role names - that is, the people who
> started out on the first corners, wherever they are now - or instantaneously
> positional?  What do you about Becket dances? (In duple minor improper first
> corners = robins; in Becket, same corners with respect to the stage =
> larks.).
>
> DId you have enough English dancers on the contra floor that this was an easy
> sell?  (In my community there's not a huge overlap in the two groups.).
>
> —Alan

I am still calling positionally - the corners are places, not faces. That
allows me to use those words no matter if the dance is proper, improper, or
Becket. When I called that way, I would stop during the teach to make certain
that the corners in question were well aware that I was referring to them. The
only times that I remember having to be creative was in positions such as short
wavy lines. But it was all quite doable, and not really all that difficult to
do as a caller.

And yes, I was fortunate to have some English dancers dancing that day… but no
contra dancers seemed phased by it. And none complained (at least not to me!).

J.