John Sweeney hit on a big reason I'm baffled, in pointing out that the
balances in Petronella (the dance) are in the second half of a phrase. So
what's funny is that in the originally Petronella, it's
Spin spin spin pause
Stomp Stomp Stomp Stomp (or steps, but, still)

And in the modern move it's
Stomp Stomp Stomp stomp
Spin spin spin pause

So the originally Petronella had everyone making percussive noise on that
last measure. And the modern move has people filling in that pause with
percussive sounds.

I've heard from people say "you need the beat or two to take hands" but
like, somehow that's not true with every other move where a move ends and
you need to join hands in a ring immediately - after a swing, bending a
line of four, turning to a new neighbor on a progression and readying for a
balance, etc.

My summation is it's just a preference.
And I notice when bands play chiller tunes for Petronella spins, fewer
people clap, so...

Anyway, I also very much would love to hear any other explanations of
"clapping in Petronellas is wrong".

In dance,
Julian Blechner.