On 31/05/2019 20:39, Anil Vishnoi wrote:
> Hi Yi,
>
> Please see inline...
>
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 5:04 PM Yi Yang (杨燚)-云服务集团
> <yangy...@inspur.com <mailto:yangy...@inspur.com>> wrote:

[trim]

>     # Q2. Openflowplugin clustering also has master, per its document,
>     only openflowplugin master node can do write operation against
>     inventory data store, then what if this openflowplugin master node
>     is follower shard?
>
> OpenFlow plugin is driven by the devices connected to it, in the
> clustered setup. OpenFlow plugin allows you to connect your device to
> any of the controller node (one or more), and internally it will decide
> which node from the cluster will be the owner/master of the device using
> Cluster SIngleton Service + EOS. Once the owner/master is decided, that
> owner/master is the one allowed to write data to the "operational"
> inventory (plugin don't write to config inventory).

Note that there is an improvement possible to the latency of
master/backup selection here. It was presented by HPE way back a long
time ago, but it never made its way upstream.

[snip]

>     # Q4. Anybody can recommend node number of a ODL cluster which will
>     manage 10000 compute/network nodes? I think leader nodes will have
>     too high workload if number of ODL cluster node is too big so that
>     it can’t do horizontal scale, per current default shard strategy,
>     every node has all the data store, that looks more like data store
>     replication, not distribute data store on all the nodes.
>
> In my experience and opinion, ODL in clustered setup is not a solution
> here. As i mentioned above, with cluster setup i can think of two
> possible solution as i mentioned above. Deploying 20 cluster will be
> operational nightmare (E.g per cluster partition issues, device
> switching between cluster, device inventory data sharing across cluster
> on device switching etc). Apart from that you will need external
> mechanism to share the data between these clusters. And depends on your
> application, things can get even more complicated to maintain in
> production environment. If you go with the second option of 60 nodes in
> cluster, i am not even sure this cluster even will boot up properly :),
> let alone managing the devices. To make it work, you need to go with the
> prefix-based-sharding and cook a solution per device (per deivce shard,
> nodes where this shard can be replicated, making sure that device
> connection only switch to the node where the devie shard is replicated
> etc etc etc).

I think we need to drill down into assumptions and design a bit more:
- what is the mode of operation of OFP here? Does it include FRM?
- how many flows are expected to be programmed on each device?
- what is the expected stability of those flows?

Can you share details about your experience (ODL version, setup, numbers)?

At the end of the day, there is precious little hard data going around,
as the Performance Report is an orphan ever since Marcus left.
Refreshing that report is probably the low-hanging fruit here: Yi, are
you willing to organize and drive that effort?

>     # Q5. Is it possible to run an asymmetric ODL cluster? I mean some
>     nodes are full stack (there are netvirt, sfc, genius, etc), some
>     nodes are southbound only (only install openflowplugin, ovsdb). I
>     don’t think we must run other stuff in south bound device management
>     nodes except southbound protocols.
>
> I think you can do that, but if you want HA for your application and
> southbound plugins and also you want to run these in exlusion, 3 node
> cluster is not going to work (atleast you need 4 nodes in cluster).

The number of total cluster nodes needs to be always odd, unless we are
talking externally managed active/passive deployment in which case in
needs to be 2 * n when n is an odd number larger than 2.

4 nodes is never a valid option. 3, 5, 6 (a/p), 7, 9, 10 (a/p), ... are
valid options.

>     #Q7. Anybody can propose a good ODL clustering solution for a super
>     scale data center which has 10000 nodes?
>
> In my experience, if you are looking for stable production environment
> with low operation cost (logistic, resource, support etc), ODL in
> "clustering" environment is probably not at-par solution. Luis and
> myself, shared some high level thoughts on how we can achieve this kind
> of scale using horizontally scalable system in the ONS summit. Here is
> the deck if you want to get more details.
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1gDLHyyuh8VVRpzHpTq9GDkv4XKAe3EaSbm2uGJFTiO8/edit?usp=sharing

I do not want to sound dismissive, but those slides are general
guidelines without any validation -- there is no apples-to-apples
comparison between two implementations of the same use case, one
implemented as-is and one with the guidelines.

Regards,
Robert