Thanks very much. I guess initrd is the ramdisk i ought to use. i'll get kernel version vmlinux-2.4.18-6mdk. (can't wait to try a newer linux !)

Le mardi 2 avril 2002, à 03:46 PM, Stew Benedict a écrit :

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Jean-Marie Bernadet wrote:

i've eventually been through the install successfully (better have your
cd drive on the proper channel !) but when it was time for the computer
to boot into the freshly installed mandrake linux 8.2 beta 2, i had a
black screen just after the install quits.

can i use bootx to boot in 8.2 ?
i understand i need a kernel and setting boot device. where can i get
the good kernel ? how can i tell the partition device name (let's say
it's partition 6 from the only SCSI disk in my machine (ID 0)) ? once i
have the name, how do i tell bootx to boot that partition ???

Check the BootX folder of the ISO (are you using beta2 iso?). Replace the
initrd with the one on:

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/initrd-2.4.18-6mdk.img

kernel should be the same version: vmlinuz-2.4.18-6mdk

There's really no way for us to know what drive/partition you installed
on. You could try to use pdisk to figure out what partition "/" is on, or
boot the rescue image.