Sascha Noyes a écrit:

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 19:17, Henri wrote:

Sascha Noyes a écrit:

>On Tuesday 11 March 2003 16:10, Henri wrote:
>
>Henri a écrit:
>
>>Gary Greene a écrit:

>>>without

>>>Am i supposed to switch my notebook to another distrib "just" for that
>>>? It is quit important for a notebook and i think that this mandrake
>>>version was supposed to be a easier one for notebook : zeroconf,
>>>switchprofiles...and apci is one of the main new features, so can't
>>>there be a special kernel for the buggy bios ? PLEEEAASE !!
>>>

>>>I believe I'd have to second that since I have a Presario 700E
>>>notebook that
>>>has exactly this problem. Before now I've been having to use SuSE on
>>>it, but
>>>if I can use Mandrake with out difficulties, I'd prefer that.
>>>
>>>About compiling a kernel, getting the kernel-source rpm, editing the
>>>config file and using rpm --rebuild should be ok, shouldn't it ?
>>>While talking about the kernel, isn't there anymore the kernel-header
>>>package ?? That means we have to download all sources just to compil an
>>>new driver (NVIDIA for ex) ???

>>>all the

>>>working:

>>I've seen the last -13mdk kernel says apic is disabled on more
>>motherboard -> going to update from RC2 to this last kernel and tell
>>if that work.
>
>GREAT ! that is now working ! at least, i see the percentage of charge,
>if i'm on battery or not in kde !! Thanks to J. Quintela for this new
>update !!!
>Now, how to test suspend/hibernation etc modes ? it asks me for
>commands...
>thanks to all.
>

>Exactly what model presario do you have? Because in the latest kernel
>there is
>an exclude for local apic set on the following Presario:
>
>    { local_apic_kills_bios, "Compaq Pressario 711EA", {
>            MATCH(DMI_SYS_VENDOR, "Compaq"),
>            MATCH(DMI_PRODUCT_NAME, "Presario 711EA 470030-327"),
>            MATCH(DMI_BOARD_VENDOR, "Compaq"),
>            MATCH(DMI_BOARD_NAME, "0760h"),
>            NO_MATCH
>            } },
>So yours would have to be a 711EA, since mine (732US) does not work.
>(Don't be
>fooled by the "Presario 700" listed just below the screen on the
>laptop)? Is
>there some way to find this out on linux (ie. without comparing the
>components on some online shop? dmiscan? but how?)
>
>Best,
>Sascha Noyes

Right, my notebook IS a 711EA (french model with a 950Mhz Duron CPU, i
believe).
To know which model you have, just look at at the back of your notebook
!!! Perhaps dmiscan does give the info, but it seems easier to look at
the ref written on the product, doesn't it ?
I don't want to make you cry, but now my notebook power down alone too,
and get silent when he has no activity for some minutes...sorry, but i'm
so happy i can't resist to tell it ;-))) Hope the problem will get
solved for you too anyway :)
I'll take a look at dmiscan tomorrow morning, now it's too late for my
poor eyes.
little stupid question : what is the problem with disabling apic support
? I've seen it's about time CPU synchro (orsomething like that) but what
is the drawback of not enabling it ? And what is the link with acpi ????

Of course, I always miss the most obvious things (bottom of laptop). Thomas,
my laptop states (on the bottom forDMI_PRODUCT_NAME) "Presario 732US
470033-480" Is this enough to go on or is DMI_BOARD_NAME also needed?

Don't worry, tu ne me fait (fais? - excuse my french) pas pleurer, my laptop
functions 99%, I just had to recompile the kernel. ;-)

right, "fais"

Je fais
Tu fais
Il/Elle fait
Nous faisons
Vous faites
Ils font

Anyway, thanks for your french effort, that's always greatly appreciated to see American (you're American, aren't you ? ) knowing something about French...:-)

Regarding the link of apic and acpi. I don't know exactly why they conflict, I
think it has something to do with PCI. APIC controlls the interrupts (exactly
what that is I also don't know) for a cpu, and IIRC was designed to make
interrupts work correctly for smp computers. (that's why one disables "local"
apic). I also have no idea what the drawback of not enabling it is. It must
be something otherwise why not just drop it. BTW, I noticed that when I
wanted to disable apic i also had to disable pci hotswapping. So it seems
that that is the only thing that it is good for, in which case i can say good
riddance and I don't know why Mandrake even bothers with it. Oh well.

Sascha Noyes