Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon 10 Mar 2003 08:00, François Pons posted as excerpted below:
> > This could be great indeed, any idea how to improve urpmi/rpmdrake is
> > welcome as next version will be designed soon now.
>
> Something I've been wishing for..  If it's there, I haven't seen it in the man
> pages or documentation..
>
> Some way to prioritize sources..  Thus, if my local mirror has the same thing
> as the sunet primary mirror, it wouldn't bother sunet, but would go for the
> local one, but would still be able to get the latest from sunet when there's
> a difference.

The sources are taken in order. In 9.2 the sources editor will
have the feature of graphically changing order. Now, you may do
so by changing order of `/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg'.

> A somewhat related request..  It doesn't LOOK like it's doing this now, but
> maybe it does..
>
> If several sources are available for an item, according to the latest
> hdlst.cz, and one fails, try the others.  I've had errors where it was gone
> from one, apparently the one urpmi tried first, but still available on
> another, only urpmi wouldn't fetch it from there.  I either had to disable
> the first source, or go fetch it manually (which is how I knew it to be
> available on the second source anyway).

I think this is available (or soon will be) with urpmi.

But this is gonna be hard for rpmdrake since the
installer/downloader is grpmi, which doesn't know anything about
dependencies (it only installs/downloads).

> Some way to tell it "if app.x.y.z doesn't exist, automatically try
> app.x.y.z-Amdk doesn't exist, try -(A+1)mdk instead."  IOW, it would do the
> same thing that urpmi already does to figure out which of several versions is
> the newest, but if the hdlist.cz file was outdated, it would automatically
> try the next logical release stepping instead, as well as the usual output
> about needing to run .update.  It's a bit arguable as to whether it should
> extend beyond the mdk release number, say, to the .z above, but at least the
> mdk releases are usually fairly limited in scope, so having at least that as
> an option would be helpful.  (The idea is an option like --allow-force, for
> those that want it, not default behavior, for those that prefer a more
> conservative approach.)

This wouldn't be safe since a new release may have different
dependencies.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/