On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Francisco Alcaraz wrote:

> What about a "metadistro" with a cdrom (in the future a dvdrom) runing
> Mandrake from the cd-driver? similar to Knoppix but with all the Mandrake
> goodies.

# urpmi mklivecd
# mklivecd livecd.iso
# cdrecord dev=0,0,0 livecd.iso

(of course, there is still some work to do, and you might want to change
some defaults).

I have a 195MB ISO with minimal KDE and grass + sample data that works
quite well, just using this method.

Hardawre detection is done by the hwdetect perl script (uses Mandrake
hardware detection libraries - and needs some testing).

> Lot of people has started to use linux after a successfull Knoppix/Gnome-live
> cd experience.

I agree, and I would like to see:
- a semi-official live CD ISO (or CD placed in ProSuite boxes)
- configurations ditributed for/with mklivecd that mimic some of the
popular KNOPPIX-based distros. I have some work to do before I have an ISO
that is better (easier to use, more GIS apps, much smaller ISO) than
GIS-Knoppix. It would be nice to see someone contribute a GNOPPIX one, I
will try and do a KNOPPIX-like one also, and some others are working on
some other ones (surpise!).

For more info, see http://minicd.berlios.de and

BTW, some constraints of a bootable distro will hopefully make for some
improvements in Mandrake, as you are happy to change a setting once for an
installation, but not every time you boot a live cd (in my case I want my
display card to default to 16bit like it does on Knoppix instead of 24bit
as on Mandrake which gives screen artefacts).

Regards,
Buchan

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.