> Le dim 28/09/2003 à 19:44, Keld Jørn Simonsen a écrit :
> > One thing I saw which could enhance the availablilty of Mandrake was to
> > make an alliance with a major disk vendor, eg. Maxtor, to preinstalle
> > mandrake on a number of disks - free of charge. I think this is what
> > Lindows have done with Seagate for their 40 GB disks, and I see quite
> > some potential for that kind of arrangement.
>
> This is stupid ...
> You don't know where the disk will be installed, and so if you don't
> support well the hardware you will just panic ... Bad reputation for
> linux.

hm, where will you panic with a i586 kernel in todays world?
i really don't think it'll be a problem.
but a really good & user freindly hardware detection will be needed
(see the OT: impressed by SuSE)

> This kind of alliance should be made with computers suppliers ( HP,
> Dell, IBM, Acer, Shuttle ) or with supermaket. The support is well
> defined and tested and so you don't have problem and you can have
> support.

i would say,
mandrake should go both for disk  & PC manufactures, not only for the
second.

svetljo