On Sun Sep 28 2003 at 18:30, Simon Oosthoek wrote:
| On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:19:44AM +0200, Warly wrote:
| > - What was wrong in 9.2 development process?
|
| I think the targets for a release should be set much earlier in the
| process. Especially targets for nr of major bugs in the software to
| be released.

I should have read Simon's post before writing mine. He more
clearly stated what I meant by 'START EARLIER.' Much earlier.
Perhaps now? What are the goals for 9.3/10? What can I do
next weekend to help accomplish one of the goals?

| Focus more on a small set of features that should work "perfectly"
| and others that are nice to have but not critical. This should be
| clearly linked with how people use mandrake-linux.

Installer. Nothing drives a new convert away faster than not
being able to complete an installation. Second, DrakeConnect
so that a new user can get help on-line with any remaining
problem.

And on Sun Sep 28 2003 18:14, Emmanuel Moll wrote, in part:

| Don't mind since I have broadband (thank you Uni) but it is
| true that having a time reference to the bugs would be good
| (e.g. this bug is valid in cooker-20030707 etc...)

Weekly may be too frequent. Perhaps days 14-15 and last two
days of each month? Or irregularly scheduled but announced
well in advance after a significant change?

I can build my own bootable CDs and/or do network installs
or upgrades from my home ftp mirror when I can keep it up-
to-date, which isn't always easy with only dial-up Internet
access. I vote for a few short freezes before beta 1 rather
than ISOs (but be sure to tell everyone what packages most
need testing).

(from Emmanuel Moll's reply)
| > - What could we do to improve 9.3/10.0 development.
|
| A more specific timeline available on Wiki. I.e. a lot of testers
| found that they did not know when cooker entered a frozen state
| etc... Why not have some "rounds" e.g.
| -Suggestion round
| -Features round
| -Packages round (in accordance with the Club, of course)
| etc... so that user know when their opinion will be heard. At the
| moment, the whole "oh i think this package should be added" or
| "this feature would be cool" at a RC1 stage is very messy.
| Providing the users with a time frame (2-3 months) in which they
| can submit their ideas for features would be good.

I agree. Announce the time-frames for each round as early as
feasible.

Looking forward to an every-improving and growing Mandrake.

Tree