guran wrote:

What is the necessity for this design of very few KDE packages?
How can a newbie be helped in learning to understand Linux by cutting it into a forced search for missing packages? Is it a political decission against qt?

In reviews of KDE the journalists very often like the many ways to change KDE in a consistent design. This is helped by kappfinder. What benefits do the Mdk menu has to change the design of KDE.

Why is the Mdk screensaver the only single coloured way to save the screen.

I don't understand the logic behind these decissions.

regards
guran

Actually I think it is a good idea to split packages. Other distros do it too. Why installing the kde fax machine when you don't have a fax modem ? This is good for saving disk space. However, the installer has to take that in account, and :
- update previous versions by considering it has to install the supplementary packages
- on a new version install more stuff by default. Newbies will have a ready-to-use box and power users will know they can remove stuff.
There is a balance to find between saving space and usability.

Eric