FACORAT Fabrice wrote:
> Le dim 16/11/2003 à 23:11, Larry Nguyen a écrit :
>
>>On Saturday 15 November 2003 11:03 am, FACORAT Fabrice wrote:
>>
>>>As a user that help newbies on forum and as i'm facing always the same
>>>problem ( where are my windows drives ? can i access my windows drives
>>>under linux ? ), I think that diskdrake when having detect a windows
>>>partitions should put a link/icon on the desktop in order to give
>>>the ability for the users to directly see that they can have access to
>>>theses drives.
>>>

>>I really like to see all mounted partitions should be under one
directory and
>>then create that direcotry/link on the desktop instead of each mounted
>>partition with the hard drive icon on the desktop. This could be very
>>un-organized desktop and looks very ugly if one has more than 1 hard
drive,
>>which is not so un-common nowadays.
>>
>>For example, create a link with description such as "Access other
partitions",
>>then when users click on it, it will launch either nautilus or kfm or
>>whatever_your_favorite_file_manager_here .

You mean, under KDE, a shortcut to devices:/ ? (or use the services
sidebar in KDE and click "Devices".

> 1°/ mdk used to do this for removable devices ( CDROM, floppy ) but it
> ends up it was very ugly and unuserfriendly
> 2°/ You know I used to see windows desktop with more than 15 icons.
> That's ugly, but people need to see directly some things or else ...

One of my friends had his whole desktop covered in icons!

> 3°/ Here is the problem -> launching the right filemanager.

???

> But in fact we should use the supermount stuff and extend it.

No, supermount is only necessary for removable media (USB devices are a
grey area ...).

> Under KDE you can select the device icons you want to show ( see
> Look&feel -> Comportment -> device icons ). At this time we show
> CDROm/NFS/SMB/Floppy/Zip icons. We should add FAT32/NTFS drives.

What is special about FAT32/NTFS? What if I want to see other
filesystems (where is my Redhat drive? Where is my SuSE drive etc etc???).

That is what "Hard Disk" is for.

> This
> way you can easily disable the icons. Gnome have this feature but only
> for removable devices ( CDROM/Floppy )
>

>>>On top of that windows partitions should be writable ( FAT32 only of
>>>course ) by normal users ( so umask=0 should be set by default for
>>>security level < high ). So by default diskdrake set umask=0 for windows
>>>FAT32 partitions during install and when the user select a security
>>>level higher than standard, then msec remove umask=0.

This is already the case AFAIK (last time I looked at the code). What
security level did you install with?

>>I would like to see this one also. But, will there be any risk, such
as, users
>>could accidently delete stuff from their winbloze partition?
>

> So ? under windows they can do it too. On top of that now most of the
> time under kde/gnome when you delete a file, by default the file is put
> in the trash, unless you specify directly delete and you have a
> confirmation box. So the risk is minimal.

But, OS's that default to fat32 are usually not multi-user, so it does
increase the risk IMHO.

Anyway, I don't think this problem should be solved in diskdrake or
anything else. The problem is (IMHO) due to shortcomings of the KDE
navigation tree (and the fact that GNOME doesn't really have one at all
yet). I have posted on this before. IMHO, the different buttons on the
splitter bar in Konqueror are the problem, they should be removed, all
entries reorganized and merged into one tree view.

Why do I access NFS/Fish/smb files in Services->LAN Browser, but http in
Network, and FTP in both? Why do I access the CD-ROM in Services->Audio
CD Browser and in "Root Directory" and "Services->Devices"?

This Computer
- -Entire filesystem (/)
- -Media (devices:/ + audiocd:/ + supermount'ed devices)
Network
- -SMB/Windows (smb:/)
- -Unix (fish/nfs hosts from lisa or similar)
- -Web (ftp/http hosts from lisa or similar?)
- -Directory (ldap:/ ;-))

And we still need to find place for bookmars, history and printers.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202