Le lun 17/11/2003 à 13:52, Buchan Milne a écrit :
> FACORAT Fabrice wrote:

> > But in fact we should use the supermount stuff and extend it.
>
> No, supermount is only necessary for removable media (USB devices are a
> grey area ...).

bad english from me, i was talking about the ability to display icons
for CDROM/HD/zip/...

> > Under KDE you can select the device icons you want to show ( see
> > Look&feel -> Comportment -> device icons ). At this time we show
> > CDROm/NFS/SMB/Floppy/Zip icons. We should add FAT32/NTFS drives.
>
> What is special about FAT32/NTFS? What if I want to see other
> filesystems (where is my Redhat drive? Where is my SuSE drive etc etc???).
>
> That is what "Hard Disk" is for.

Seeing others linux partitions is what i can call : advanced stuff -> so
this should not be enable by default ( and hard disk will show them ).
A normal user ( desktop environment ) should not see others linux
partitions except his home directory. So see / and /home on his desktop
is useless for him. Most of the times this kind of users put files in
their home directory and open/save some files in their windows
partitions in order to share them with windows. So they need to know
directly and easily where is their home directory ( the home icon ), and
where is/are their windows partition(s).

Showing FAT32/NTFS drives is what I called basic stuff for newbies. For
example, the user need to install the firmware for his modem to make the
connection work under linux, so he dl the firmware under windows and
then his first question is : Can i have an access to my windows drives ?
If yes, where can i access them ?
At least 5 times a week on a forum where you have many newbies we have
this kind of question. Mandrake control center ? they don't know or
don't know where to go ( MountPoint is chinese for them )

> > This
> > way you can easily disable the icons. Gnome have this feature but only
> > for removable devices ( CDROM/Floppy )

> This is already the case AFAIK (last time I looked at the code). What
> security level did you install with?

since which version ? I don't know for me as I don't install 9.2 on HD
where there was some FAT32 partitions, but on forum I have many times
users saying that they can't write on their windows partitions ( 9.1,
maybe 9.2 but will have to check ) at least if they was able to find
where was their windows partitions.

> >>I would like to see this one also. But, will there be any risk, such
> as, users
> >>could accidently delete stuff from their winbloze partition?
> >

> > So ? under windows they can do it too. On top of that now most of the
> > time under kde/gnome when you delete a file, by default the file is put
> > in the trash, unless you specify directly delete and you have a
> > confirmation box. So the risk is minimal.
>
> But, OS's that default to fat32 are usually not multi-user, so it does
> increase the risk IMHO.

I'm talking for home/desktop usage. in multiuser/workstation usage, the
sysadmin have the responsibility to enable/disable this feature. Now for
desktop/home usage when several people have access to the computer the
problem is Linux/unix rights limitations ( need ACL and easy way to
managed ACL ) or need away to specify that this group and only this
group of users can access theses drives.

> Anyway, I don't think this problem should be solved in diskdrake or
> anything else. The problem is (IMHO) due to shortcomings of the KDE
> navigation tree (and the fact that GNOME doesn't really have one at all
> yet). I have posted on this before. IMHO, the different buttons on the
> splitter bar in Konqueror are the problem, they should be removed, all
> entries reorganized and merged into one tree view.
>
> Why do I access NFS/Fish/smb files in Services->LAN Browser, but http in
> Network, and FTP in both? Why do I access the CD-ROM in Services->Audio
> CD Browser and in "Root Directory" and "Services->Devices"?

  Media (devices:/ + audiocd:/ + supermount'ed devices)
> This Computer
> - -Entire filesystem (/)
  - -Windows Drives ( FAT32/NTFS drives )
  - -printers
> Network
> - -SMB/Windows (smb:/)
> - -Unix (fish/nfs hosts from lisa or similar)
> - -Web (ftp/http hosts from lisa or similar?)
> - -Directory (ldap:/ ;-))
  - -Bookmarks
  - -History ( Web history, for local history use panel "recent
documents" entry )

I'd rather add under Windows drives ( on MAC it could be mac filesystem
). I would have moved Media directly under Home.
This way the user have a distinction :
- what i access the most and can go whenever I want -> Home and Media
- stuff i rarely need to access directly, should be avoid ( / ) or use
with care ( FAT32, printers ).
- network stuffs

--
Il est absurde de diviser les gens en bons et en mauvais. Les gens sont
ou bien charmants ou bien ennuyeux. Oscar Wilde