> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:21:26PM +0100, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
> >i'll be happy to test, but sadly i can not help to get it merged :(
> ok, point me to a kernel that has cramfs working and i'll start testing
> on my own

binary rpm or source ?-)
for the second you might get my patch tarball or nosrc.rpm
from http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/cook/2.6/

but wait until i upload a new ones
(complete upload will be noted by "test9s8.md5sums" )

> >we'll probably have to keep support for lvm1,
> both lvm1 and cramfs?

wh not :-)
2.4 is also pretty big & could benefit from switching to cramfs initrd
(and no idea when dev-mapper will go in :( )

> >couldn't we mount tmpfs on /etc in the initrd
> yes,
> the only files i need in /etc are
> /etc/mdadm.conf (but i can change mdassemble to use a config file
> parameter, or copy the file in /etc after mounting)
> and /etc/lvm/lvm.conf (for lvm2, but if we use lvm2 i can tell it not to
> create the cache, so no need for mounting tmpfs over etc)

i think copying will be easier :-)

> the real problem is:
> how the hell do i know if i have devfs using nash?
> i find this in mkdevices which is written in c,
> should i write another c function for nash which does:
>
> rc=open("/dev/.testwr", O_CREAT);
> if (rc < 0) {
>         mount("/dev", "/dev", "tmpfs", 0, 0);
>         mknod("/dev/null", 1, 3);
>         mknod(...);
> } else {
>         close(rc);
> }
> ????

:(

IMO you'll have to write one,
or we have to dump nash for limited fuctionality

svetljo