> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:51:29PM +0100, Olivier Blin wrote:
> >By the way, what should we do about devfs ?
> >It is deprecated, but is there any working alternative yet ?
> >udev needs userspace tools IIRC.
>
> uhm, good question, we still ship it enabled by default in 9.2, but
> there is nothing (i belive) that depends on having it enabled
> i would keep things as they are, supported but not compulsory, even if
> that becomes an hassle to maintain.

IMHO there  is nothing available that could replace it
udev is pretty far from finished

but do wee need it i don't know

> >> I will try to add cramfs/tmpfs support if someone kindly notices the
> >> fact i am doing it, if this stuff is not scheduled to be merged
> >> sometimes then i will not bother.
> >
> >Okay, I let you do it :)
> ok :)
>
> >It would be a good start to have a look at Debian's linuxrc and
> >mkinitrd, since they use exactly what you want to do.
>
>http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/initrd-tools/initrd-tools_0.1.55.tar.gz
> It is a much cleaner implementation that the rh based mkinitrd we are
> using, but i don't know how much space does it waste wrt ours.
> Their mkinitrd is completely written in shell and the guy knows about
> shell programming. It will be complex to master.

and it's HUGE at least in the default config
[EMAIL PROTECTED] disk2]# ll /mnt/initrd.cramfs
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      3461120 Nov 17 16:27 /mnt/initrd.cramfs
[EMAIL PROTECTED] disk2]# du
242K    ./bin
4.5K    ./dev
1.0K    ./etc
1.2M    ./lib/i686
147K    ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/block
22K     ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/ide/legacy
8.5K    ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/ide/pci
62K     ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/ide
90K     ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/md
44K     ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/message/fusion
44K     ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/message
20K     ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/aacraid
189K    ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx
36K     ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_2
1.1M    ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi
1.5M    ./lib/modules/2.6.0-t9.ruby.7mdk/kernel/drivers
<snip -- all filesystems>
3.2M    ./lib/modules
4.4M    ./lib
76K     ./sbin
12K     ./usr/sbin
13K     ./usr
512     ./dev2
512     ./devfs
512     ./mnt
512     ./proc
512     ./scripts
512     ./sys
512     ./tmp
512     ./var
4.8M    .

may be switching busybox could help
(staticly linked with diet libs)

there are good sides too it should support any thinkable sitution
but on that price ?
and is it really nessecary to use dynamicly linked binaries + libc

> I would really like to rewrite initrd since the current implementation
> sucks a lot, but:
> 1) there are a some things our mkinitrd does that i do not understand
> or have no means to test (i.e. root on a loopback file)
> 2) before embarking in such a project i would like some consensus on
> whether it is needed or not
> 3) i do not have that much spare time, so i'would need some help
>
> at the moment i was thinking on going on hacking the current mkinitrd.

it's probably the better solution, it would be _damn_hard_ to switch to what
debian use
in a good way

may be you could also check geninitrd from PLD linux (a polish distribution)
it seems to support romfs|cramfs|ext2 but it doesn't seem to support 2.6,
loop ...
(debian do it really nice :( ... evms, lvm2,....)

> >It was about to patch our linuxrc, but if you wanna do it, you're
> >welcome :)
> I do not particularly like it, but i do not want my previous work for
> integrating lvm2 to get lost.
>
> >Can you have a look at the mkinitrd/make-initrd patches I've begun ?
> i have already integrated them in my tree,
> i am now working on mounting tmpfs on /dev (see my other mail)

svetljo

--
GMX Weihnachts-Special: Seychellen-Traumreise zu gewinnen!

Rentier entlaufen. Finden Sie Rudolph! Als Belohnung winken tolle
Preise. http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/special/