Broccoli Cheese Rice Recipe

This easy
casserole
 combines
broccoli,
rice,
sweet onions,
cheese,
and cream of mushroom soup. It is a hand-me-down recipe (affectionately
known as Goop) that is always requested for gatherings and potluck dinners.
This
can be put together hours ahead of time, and just let it rest on the counter
until ready to bake. In fact, it will cook faster the longer you let it sit
on the counter. It's simple, but quite addictive.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutesPT1H10M
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Ingredients:

. 1 cup raw long-grain
rice
 (not instant)
. 4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup or 1/2 stick) butter, melted (liquefied, but cool)
. 2 cups frozen chopped
broccoli,
thawed
. 1 cup diced
sweet onions
. 1 can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
. 1 soup can,  full of water
. 8 ounces Velveeta (processed cheese food) cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
. 1/2 teaspoon
salt

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 F.

Mix
rice
 and melted butter together in oven-proof
casserole
 (a 3-quart covered casserole or Dutch oven should do it). Mix in
broccoli,
sweet onions,
mushroom soup, water,
cheese,
and
salt
 until well-combined.

Cover tightly and bake about 1 to 1-1/4 hours in preheated oven, stirring
once mid-way through cooking. Cooking time may vary depending on how long
mixture
sits before baking. The longer it sits, the less cooking time is needed.

Always test rice for doneness before serving. Cooking times vary with
different ovens and casserole dishes, and you do not want any surprises.
Recipe may
be doubled.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Variation: You may also add fresh, peeled raw
shrimp
 or cooked
chicken
 cubes for extra protein.

Note: This can be put together hours ahead of time, and just let rest on the
counter until ready to cook. In fact, it will cook faster the longer you let
it sit on the counter.
Broccoli Cheese Rice Recipe Photo © 2011 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone,
licensed to About.com, Inc.