I haven't seen a gas stove in the past 20 years that has a pilot light. Even
those that do, there is a thermal coupler that holds the gas valve open when
it senses heat from the pilot light. When the pilot light goes out, the gas
valve turns off. With no pilot light, you won't have gas, and you won't be
able to light the burner with a match. At least this is my experience with
gas stoves while growing up.

It would take a strike anywhere match to use a rock to start one. Those have
been difficult to find for many years now. They want you to use the box to
strike them. And this would come with additional safety issues.

The temp of a gas flame is about 3000 degrees F while an element is about
1500 degrees F. But the temperature is not relevant. The flame temp is the
same weather the burner is on high, medium or low. Try to boil water on low
and see how long it takes. I can boil water faster on my lower temp electric
stove than I can on my parent's higher temp gas stove.

I have used both, and both have their advantages and disadvantages, but my
personal preference is for gas.

The biggest issue with gas stoves is if you have kids. The knobs are on the
front and small children tend to play with stuff they can reach.

Michael