Dolores, there is absolutely nothing to worry about with a gas stove. If there were to be some kind of leak, and that is highly unlikely, you'd smell it and you could turn off whatever burner there was, or you could get out of the house quickly.

Gas is, in my opinion, far more easy to cope with than electric, but I know there are many who will disagree. I'll always choose gas, but you should choose whatever you are most comfortable with as they both have good points. However, I will say that gas turns on and off and the flame is simple to set so you have just the right amount of flame under your pan. You don't need to wait for the heat to adjust as you do with electric.

My main point is, if you like one over the other, go with what you are comfortable with, and don't choose one over the other out of fear. They are both worthy choices, and blind people can use either with ease.

Karen