Hi David:

Here is how I am doing it.  I hope you don't mind that I am cc-ing this.

I picked a directory that I hope will be uninhabited:

/usr/local/xtal/coot

1.  sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/xtal

2. Download fink's source code and compile it, using /usr/local/xtal/ coot as the prefix. You'll need the latest Xcode (3.1 I think) and X11 (2.3.1). Use the bootstrap install, and it will prompt you to specify the directory. /sw is the default, but you can tell it to use /usr/ local/xtal/coot

3. Run the bootstrap. When prompted, tell it to use unstable packages. When done,

source  /usr/local/xtal/coot/bin/init.sh

fink selfupdate-rsync

fink install coot

You can hack the fftw.info file and remove all references to fortran extensions, and that will save about 3 hours of compiling gcc3.4, which gives you gfortran, which, as far as I can tell, is useless in this context.

I then move /usr/local/xtal/coot/bin/coot to /usr/local/xtal/coot/ bin/coot.ppc and then write a wrapper shell script with the line
 source /usr/local/xtal/coot/bin/init.sh
before invocation of the actual coot binary. This ensures the user will have the proper run-time environment but not contaminate the rest of his or her setup. I also modify /usr/local/xtal/coot/etc/gtk-2.0/ gtkrc to use the aqua -like buttons for the interface. The description of this is in the coot.info file.

4. Then when it is done, I test it and verify it is working, and then tar everything up for next time, and then remove all the spurious files and directories, so that the download will be "only" about 120 MB.

Bill