To expand on that:

If it chose not to dock sequence, then that basically means that the electron density doesn't provide compelling evidence for a particular sequence being right.

A score of 0.5 means that the next best sequence dock had exactly the same score as the best one. In practice, that means that you would do just as well docking random sequences into the density. Your score of 0.508934 basically says that.

In practice I'd only expect an 18 residue trace to dock if the density is quite good and the C-alpha positions correspondingly good. That will vary a lot depending on resolution and the quality of the density. For a clear region in a 2.5A map, you've got a good chance, for a mobile loop then no chance. If it is mistraced of course, all bets are off.

Did you RSR everything first?

Also, the algorithm in Coot uses much of the same code, but run in a rather different manner from buccaneer, in order to achieve interactive speed. It might be worth trying buccaneer on it, but getting a longer fragment is more likely to make a difference.

If you want a test, get a known structure, convert to poly-ala, and chop it up a bit, and try sequencing the fragments of different length.

Kevin

Paul Emsley wrote:
Phil Evans wrote:
How does the Extensions->Dock sequence command work?

I've got a polyAla model, so I open the dialog, import a sequence file, click the "Sequence closest fragment" or "Sequence all fragments!"

Then I get in the terminal window something like

Sequence: ??QKDIGVKPEFSFN??
Confidence: 0.508934

From    : LQQKDIGVKPEFSFNIP
Chain id: 0     Offset: 114

but nothing seems to have happened.
has it failed? or worked?

OK, well that interface could do with improving. As could the documentation - thanks for prodding me.

It has failed. It needs 0.9 or greater confidence before it will add the sidechains (this basically Kevin's buccaneer code).