Hi,

I assume your Mac Pro is equipped with an i5-4278U? "U" processor based Mac computers are designed to save energy "to the max". The GPU of the i5-2467M processor of my Mac Air hardly leaves the 350 MHz level and at that level it runs without apparent problems (no obvious bottlenecks, all is smooth). If I increase the radius of an ED-map I can force the GPU to leave the 350 MHz level but with clearly lowered responsiveness due to having no dedicated gDDR5 memory, no eDRAM memory, and a narrow 64-bit bus width.....

My guess, you probably trespassed a certain amount of GPU computing power that requires the GPU to speed up (in your case running at merely 200 MHz base frequency) and by doing so, the GPU runs into apparent system limits/bottlenecks. The IRIS 5100 (and hardware implementation by Apple) cannot really substitute for a true OpenGL graphics card in the end and further more only "supports" OpenGL (not equal to a full OpenGL hardware implementation).

To get some ideas about the GPU load, install the Intel Power Gadget on your Mac and compare/see what happens if you run coot with a model that worked in the past and the current model with 16 chains.....

Cheers,

Jeroen