Thanks for the explanation, Paul! So you are trying to make Coot work on Mac
touchpad, which makes sense. Hopefully you can include configuration options in
future releases.

Jinyi

From: Paul Emsley <pems...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2022 6:07 PM
To: Zhu, Jinyi <jinyi....@bms.com>; COOT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Zoom function on Coot 1

[Use CAUTION when opening links/attachments]

On 30/04/2022 05:07, Zhu, Jinyi wrote:
Hi all,

After getting Coot 1.0.06-pre on my Mac and Wincoot 1.0.01 on Windows,

Up to date :-)

it seems to me that I have to hold both left and right clicks for Zoom, while
right click is rotating.

Left-click is for picking, right-mouse click-and-drag is for rotating the view
[1]

Shift right-mouse for zoom (also chording left-mouse and right-mouse does zoom).

However, on a Mac, at the moment, rotating the view is also on left-mouse (I
don't know how to do "right-mouse" click-and-drag on the trackpad - or even if
it's possible). Coot should be able to distinguish between trackpad and mouse
usage on a Mac (but it doesn't at the moment).

Is this new pattern designed by purpose?

Yes, I've put quite a lot of thought into it.

If so, is there an option in Preference to switch it back to traditional
settings (hold right click for Zoom and left click for rotating)?

I thought that this question might come up :-)

Eventually, I plan to have all key presses and mouse actions configurable - but
that is not how it is today.

Paul.

[1] my fingers get so confused when I go back to using 0.9.8.x

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary,
privileged and/or private information. The information is intended to be for
the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately, and
delete the message and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or other use of this message or any attachments by an individual
or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.