On 10/11/2012 11:32 AM, Xueming Shen wrote:
On 10/10/12 8:16 PM, Weijun Wang wrote:

On 10/11/2012 11:09 AM, Xueming Shen wrote:
On 10/10/12 6:51 PM, Weijun Wang wrote:
Several questions:

1. In encode0(byte[] src, byte[] dst)

 281                 if (linepos == linemax && (atom != 0 || sp <
sl)) {

Maybe atom != 0 is not necessary?

The logic here is that if we reached the last atom (atom == 0), but if
there
is still byte(s) in src (sp < sl), we will need to output the last
special unit,
which has one or two padding charactere '=', in this case, we still
need to
output the line separator(s).

But when atom != 0, it seems sp < sl should always be true.

Yes, the sp < sl part only counts if atom == 0. Means if it's NOT last
atom,
(atom != 0) output the line feeds, if it IS the last atom (atom == 0), only
output the line feeds if there are leftover byte (sp < sl), which means the
last 4-byte unit (with one or two '=') will be after this line feed.

So, the value of sp < sl is always the same as (atom != 0 || sp < sl). That's why I said atom != 0 is not necessary.

-Max

-Sherman

-Max

2. Is it necessary to explicitly mention in the spec that there is no
CrLf at the end of a MIME encoded string?

I'm struggling with which is the appropriate/desired behavior, output
the crlf for the last line
or not. Apache's common coder appears to append the crlf for the last
line, but our sun.misc
version does not (but sun.misc.BASE64 actually appends the line
separator if the last line
happens to have 76 characters, I would assume this is a bug though). The
current implement
tries to match the sun.misc. I'm happy to go either way.

But, as you suggested, it might be worth explicitly describing whatever
behavior we choose.

3. The test confirms decoding can correctly reverse the encoding but
it says nothing about the correctness of the encoding. Maybe we can
just use "10.  Test Vectors" of RFC 4648?

I do have a version of TestBase64 actually compares encoded results of
j.u.Base64,
sun.misc.BASE64Encoder and org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64. Maybe
I should
at least plug in the code for comparing with sun.misc.Base64Encoder.

Thanks!
-Sherman