Ulf,

I think that point leading style is something which can be easily mistreat. If
we complicate the example:

   String mySub = myVeryLongNamedString.substring(.indexOf("C"),.indexOf("Q"));

to something like:

   String mySub =
myVeryLongNamedString.concat("BLAH").substring(.indexOf("C"),.indexOf("Q"));

it is not 100% clear which object will be applied for ".indexOf" method, either
(myVeryLongNamedString) or (myVeryLongNamedString + "BLAH"). Also I believe
that the need of executing the instance methods to get parameter values for its
another method is an API issue. Helpers like StringUtils from commons-lang
resolve this particular case and many similar. Moreover, the helper correctly
takes care of the situation when Q meets before C which means you would not use
the feature like in above (even if it is implemented).

However, I totally agree that the "chaining" feature should be done as a
compiler time AST modification to allow using legacy APIs without recompilation
and keep byte-code, existing APIs and various conventions untouched.

---
Regards,
Victor Polischuk