On 04/01/2014 11:28 AM, Bruce Chapman wrote:
Slightly preceding Ulf's coin proposal by a few hours was

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/coin-dev/2009-March/001134.html

Where I suggested the "naked dot" notation (coined in http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/coin-dev/2009-March/000855.html) has better value as ".. a
syntax for referring to the receiver of a method inside arguments to the
method."

More formally, the naked dot (at the start of an expression, not following an invocation to a void method) would refer to the receiver of the innermost surrounding invocation expression.

A: What is the receiver of the invocation of a static method?

B: What is the receiver of the invocation of a constructor?

Regards, Peter

and so to answer Guy's question below in terms of my original intention rather than Ulf's proposal, .indexof("Q") would use myVeryLongNamedString as its receiver.

I see particular value for these naked dot expressions in creating fluent APIs such as builder patterns. As suggested in my coin post, there is also value for passing enums or named constants to methods when (as is often the case) these named constants are defined in the same class as the method being invoked. In a highly informal sense, the naked dot enables on demand changing of the scope to be that of the invocation expression's receiver,

I think with this interpretation of the meaning of naked or leading dot, Guy's compromise restriction below is not required.

Bruce