I'm still only half paying attention, but I agree with Alexander that the low-level infrastructure in libjimage is fishy.  The rule should be that file descriptors created by the JDK should have the CLOEXEC bit on.

But even if the CLOEXEC bit was forgotten, the subprocess code should still succeed in closing that fd and use FAIL_FILENO for the error reporting pipe in childproc.c.

That's two independent problems and I suggest adressing them one at a time.

I anyone willing to get my patch applied? I do not have commiter rights yet, but my OCA is already processed.