Hi Bhaktavatsal Reddy,

thanks for addressing this long standing issue. I've opened "8201540:
[AIX] Extend the set of supported charsets in java.base" [1] to track
this issue.

As I wrote in the bug report, this problem is the consequence of an
emergency fix (JDK-8081332) I did back in 2015 to fix the build on AIX
after the integration of the modularity support change (see
discussion: [2]). At that time I only added the minimal set of
charsets which were required to fix the build.

It would be great if you can get in touch with your IBM colleagues to
find out which are the default extended charsets supported by IBM J9
on AIX. I think we should try to use a similar set here in our OpenJDK
port which is also used by the OpenJ9 for building OpenJ9 on AIX.

Also, your IBM colleagues can help you to host a webrev which will
make the further review of these changes much easier. I've but Tim
from IBM on CC which should have an overview of all the IBM people
involved in the OpenJDK project. Besides that I know at least the
following people who might help you:

Michihiro Horie: ho...@jp.ibm.com
Hiroshi H Horii: ho...@jp.ibm.com
Gustavo Romero: grom...@linux.vnet.ibm.com