On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 08:28:01 GMT, Jaroslav Bachorik <jbacho...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

>> src/jdk.jfr/share/conf/jfr/default.jfc line 1051:
>>
>>> 1049:       <flag name="class-loading-enabled" label="Class
>>> 1050:
>>> 1051:       <flag name="container-events-enabled" label="Container
>>> Events">true</flag>
>>
>> I don't think we should create "flag" for "Container Events". Instead we
>> should treat them like CPU and other OS events, always on. Since JFR can be
>> used outside a container, it seems wrong to have this as an option.
>
> Ok. So what would be a good rule-of-thumb for when one should introduce a
> flag?

I think we want to limit the number flags/options There are already too many,
preferably we would have none, but some of the ones we have today, like gc and
exception, are necessary, because the impact of have them on by default would
be catastrophic (long stop the world pauses and possibly million of events per
second).