> This is the implementation of JEP 425: Virtual Threads (Preview); TBD which
> JDK version to target.
>
> We will refresh this PR periodically to pick up changes and fixes from the
> loom repo.
>
> Most of the new mechanisms in the HotSpot VM are disabled by default and
> require running with `--enable-preview` to enable.
>
> The patch has support for x64 and aarch64 on the usual operating systems
> (Linux, macOS, and Windows). There are stubs (calling Unimplemented) for zero
> and some of the other ports. Additional ports can be contributed via PRs
> against the fibers branch in the loom repo.
>
> There are changes in many areas. To reduce notifications/mails, the labels
> have been trimmed down for now to hotspot, serviceability and core-libs.
> We'll add the complete set of labels when the PR is further along.
>
> The changes include a refresh of java.util.concurrent and ForkJoinPool from
> Doug Lea's CVS. These changes will probably be proposed and integrated in
> advance of this PR.
>
> The changes include some non-exposed and low-level infrastructure to support
> the (in draft) JEPs for Structured Concurrency and Scope Locals. This is to
> make life a bit easier and avoid having to separate VM changes and juggle
> branches at this time.

Alan Bateman has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge
or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in
by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains five additional commits since
the last revision:

 - Refresh
 - Refresh
 - Merge with jdk-19+18
 - Refresh
 - Initial push

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/8166/files/0e12c206..f53f0d4e

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=8166&range=02
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=8166&range=01-02

  Stats: 148912 lines in 1502 files changed: 104901 ins; 9917 del; 34094 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/8166/head:pull/8166