On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 20:03:48 GMT, Pavel Rappo <pra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I'm not sure either. You can ask a javadoc expert whether this is a proper
>> noun or just plain English. I noticed it's also not translated in the
>> Japanese version but the German version has translated it.
>
> It's not a noun. It's an adjective that I had to synthesize for extra clarity
> and closeness to Java Language Specification (JLS). The English version of
> that entry is as follows:
>
>     doclet.throwsInheritDocUnsupported=@inheritDoc is not supported for
> exception-type type parameters \
>     that are not declared by a method; document such exception types directly
>
> JLS _8.4.6. Method Throws_ defines BNF which conveniently labels elements, a
> list of which may appear in the `throws` clause, as `ExceptionType`. To make
> it more English-like and separate two otherwise consecutive occurrences of
> "type" in that sentence, I split the words with a hyphen and lower-cased
> them: exception-type.
>
> @jonathan-gibbons thoughts?

While the text is technically correct, it may not be as clear as it could be to
all folk that will read this message for whom English is not their primary
language.

I would suggest translating the phrase as if it were something like

@inheritDoc is not supported for type parameters that are exception types and
not declared by a method

and secondarily, changing the English resource to something like that as well.

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk20/pull/116