On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:22:32 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <i...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> In fact, I am not even sure why it seems to the PR author to be a good idea
> to let the default be dependent on the build machine at all. My personal
> opinion is that it would be better to select either "SVE enabled" or "SVE
> disabled" as the default, and then let the user override this on the
> configure command line, if they target a platform with different SVE
> availability.

SVE support should be enabled regardless of the build machine. The same binary
must run on both SVE and non-SVE machines, using SVE if it is advantageous. I
suppose some ancient C++ compilers without SVE support still exist, but I see
no very good reason to support them building JDK 22+.

Making a configure option to disable SVE support for vector math is a mistake,
but IMO mostly harmless because no-one will ever turn it off.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16234#discussion_r1406450888