Hi

I’ve experienced similar problems (and still experience some).
The problem seems to happen in situations where the buffer size changes
quickly, or the buffer size is small, or the timing is jittering, or the timing
is not absolutely stable. In these cases you may end up in a constant underrun
state.
I assume that your driver is unclocked (kAudioDeviceClockAlgorithmUnclocked).
Did you trace your output to exactly see what happens and when?
Depending on your driver’s needs, you can add a safety offset that will make
core audio write data at a higher sample time.

Regards
Eric