Peter Stuge wrote:
Patrick Georgi wrote:
What I don't know is, do we require any chipset setup to _reach_
CMOS?

It's not generally in the CPU, so some setup may be needed. On the
other hand, maybe 70/71 are decoded correctly on power up, just like
flash access?

It's not like there is a spec or anything, but most of the PC AT junk in IO space will be accessible from first fetch. Disassemble the early portions of some AMI or Phoenix BIOSes, and you'll see accesses to things like CMOS in the first few instructions. Legacy accesses have to die somewhere subtractively, and the RTC usually is in that path.

Tom