Hey everybody,

in today's leadership meeting, the question was brought up if we want
to normalize the coding style in coreboot to _always_ use braces in
if, else and for statements, even if it's just one statement they're
wrapping.

The arguments made in favor were:

1. it's more consistent
2. it's safer: you won't accidentally add a statement that is outside
   the context it's supposed to run in (or even move a statement out
   into the parent context by inserting another statement)

So instead of:

if (foo)
        bar();
else {
        baz();
        quux();
}

we'd do:

if (foo) {
        bar();
} else {
        baz();
        quux();
}

The attendees were generally in favor, but wanted to ask the wider
community. The idea of putting it up for a vote was brought up, but
we decided to discuss it first (and vote if there's disagreement,
after the arguments were exchanged. makes for clearer arguments for
all positions on the  ballot, too)

Patrick
[...]

The attendees were generally in favor, but wanted to ask the wider community. The idea of putting it up for a vote was brought up, but we decided to discuss it first (and vote if there's disagreement, after the arguments were exchanged. makes for a clearer ballot, too)

Patrick
--
Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg