Hi Andy,

Apols for stating what might be ther obvious but the civil registration of
births did not begin in Ireland til 1864 so you will never find the births
of your gggps.  And church records of baptisms will depend very much on the
church but even there, you really only have a 50/50 chance of finding
baptisms from the 1840s and 1850s.  And a prerequisite is knowing which
church to check.  You do not mention religious affiliation but with names
like McSorley and McFadden, I am guessing in Catholic, which makes it a bit
easier than Presbyterian because they will have attended the parish
church.  So, residence and parish are indeed essential.

No marriage for Thomas McSorley and Mary Anne McFadden in County Tyrone
within 5 years of 1876 in any of RootsIreland, IrishGenealogy or GRONI,
which is not a good start!

However, if you have the deaths of Thomas' parents, then you must surely
know where they lived, which will give you the correct church to search but
you do not give these records.  I am assuming this is them:

Civil Death Record
Name: William McSorley Date of Death: 18-May-1874
Age: 57 Parish / District: KILLETER
Address: Meencargah County: TYRONE
Occupation: STONE CUTTER Sex: Male
Graveyard Informant
Graveyard: Relationship: Unknown
Parish: Name: Nancy McSorley
County: Address: Meencargah

So, he died in Meencargah, not Killeter, that is just the local
registration district.  And Castlederg would be the area registration
district.  Meencargah is in the Parish of West Longfield, just south of
Castlederg.

No sign of a death cert for Nancy, however, in Co Tyrone between 1874, when
she was PAD for William, and 1914, when she would probably have been in her
90s, at any of the BMD websites.  It would help to have that.

If Thomas McSorley was born to William McSorley in 1854, then the Griffiths
Valuation of circa 1858 should really have a William McSorley in
Meencargah, or at least in West Longfield, but it only has these McSorleys:

Mcsorley        Hugh                Drumowen               Longfield West
  Tyrone
Mcsorley        James               Drumowen               Longfield West
  Tyrone
Mcsorley        John                Clunahill Glebe        Longfield West
  Tyrone
Mcsorley        John                Drumowen               Longfield West
  Tyrone
Mcsorley        Samuel              Bomackatall Upper      Longfield West
  Tyrone

Ardstraw does not have a William either:

Mc Sorley         Andrew             Drumnabey
Ardstraw     Tyrone
Mc Sorley         Edw.               Newtownstewart
 Ardstraw     Tyrone
Mc Sorley         Edward             Newtownstewart
 Ardstraw     Tyrone
Mc Sorley         James              Ballyrenan
 Ardstraw     Tyrone
Mc Sorley         James              Meaghy
 Ardstraw     Tyrone
Mc Sorley         Patrick            Tullymuck
Ardstraw     Tyrone
Mc Sorley         Rose               Envagh
 Ardstraw     Tyrone

There ARE William McSorleys in the GV in the parishes of Badoney, Cappagh,
Kilskerry and Termonaguirk.

On the assumption that I DO have the correct death above, and that your
McSorleys came from West Longfield, then these are the available church
records:

R.C. Langfield (Drumquin) (Derry diocese)
Baptisms and marriages, 1846-80; deaths, 1853-6. MIC1D/60

And you can check these for yourself here:

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0364

I did have a look for the McFaddens in County Donegal but with even less
success in finding much on Denis and Bell McFadden anywhere in those parts
of Donegal close to Tyrone.  Btw, there is no such place as Donegal City.
It is a town but I suspect you mean the registration district surrounding
that town.

I would be interested in seeing the records you found to see if that could
help me a little more but this is all I can do for the moment.

Regards,

Boyd

https://www.facebook.com/westulstergenealogy/

http://familytrees.genopro.com/boydgray26/Boyd/