Ron,

It’s sometimes possible to see our ancestors’lives through rose tinted glasses.
Sometimes they didn’t live all that well, whether through fecklessnessor simply
poverty. You are scathing about the description of houses where youcan see
“pigs and fowls in the kitchen and everything is dirty.” The thing is,that is
factually correct. That is how poorer folk did live. My own grandmotherwas
brought up in a farm labourers cottage in the 1890s and she described abare
earth floor where chickens and ducks wandered in and out through the
door,defecating all over the place. They weren’t wealthy enough to have a pig
but itwas common enough for livestock to be kept under the same roof, for
securityand warmth. It must have been dirty and smelly, just as the OS
descriptiontells us. You can see cottages like that today in the Cultra Folk
Park museumoutside Belfast.  But that way of livingwas common enough in the
1700s and 1800s, across Europe not just here inIreland. Up on the famous
Scottish Island of St Kilda (150 miles north ofIreland) they had a dreadful
neo-natal death rate. During the winter months, thesheep and cows were kept in
the house alongside the family, at one end of thebuilding. A visiting nurse
eventually discovered that whenever a child wasborn, the family dipped the end
of the umbilical chord in the animal and humanmanure inside the building “for
good luck.” Consequently half the babies caughtfatal diseases. And that was in
the late 1800s.

Yousay: “The time period scribes never seems to mention how hard working
thesepeople are, how close knit the families be, the way communities work
togetheror the weight of unfair and unjust economic burdens they struggle under
andstill survive and more they insist on thriving in the face of
greatadversity”. What’s your evidence for that? Unless people have changed a
lotover the past 200 years, I would expect they were the much same as today, a
mixof hard workers, some who worked less hard and quite a few who led
fairlydissipated lives. (Some of whom you can read about in the court
newspaperreports on the Co Tyrone website.)

The men who compiled and wrote the OS memoirswere a mix of Army Officers and
civilian assistants. (There’s a goodexplanation of who they were and how they
worked at the beginning of everyvolume of the Memoirs). They weren’t all crusty
upper class British Armyofficers. Many were non commissioned soldiers and
civilian assistants. And the themesin the example Len quoted can be found
elsewhere in reports for other Ulstercounties. So was there some vast
conspiracy, do you think, or might thedescriptions (pejorative as they may seem
at times) perhaps be reasonablyaccurate?

Elwyn