Elwyn

As a young boy in Ontario I spent much of my spring and summer tending our
farms crop of Potatoes .In 1974 I kept myself  whole and hard by working potato
farms in the highlands of Scotland. Even then with help of modern equipment
potatoes are a labour intensive crop. In those days the mechanical potato
pickers so common today were only just being brought in. Getting  the potatoes
planted hilled and clean was a chore especially as it always needed to be done
when other crops needed attention. That however was nothing compared to the
potato picking. Each field was filled with dozens of families anxious to try
and make a little money on the side by picking potatoes. The best pickers were
young children eight years or younger. They did not have to bend so far as
their mom's and dad an often worked on their hands and knees. They started
before first light in the cold misty Scottish fall morning. Dirt was a way of
life for those families and little ones but I was amazed at how hard they
worked rain or shine (little shine lots of rain) and how tough they were. Each
family was given a plot to pick and bag, pence paid for by the bag or basket.
At mid day we sat under the stone fence rows lines of families eating bread,
cheese and cold mutton wrapped in newspaper the children maybe some jam for
desert and the adults some Shandy to drink if you could afford it. At the end
of the day families would pick a pot of potatoes to take home with them for
their supper unless the overseers caught them and if he did they would have
their potatoes dumped from their pots unto passing wagons and their pots thrown
against the fence row. When dark came you were glad it had come to hide you and
you were glad there was no lights that you might have been compelled to work
under.  Your back ached and your hands hurt soil mixed with blood made band
aids and plaster for your skinned knuckles and bleeding fingers.. Many Irish
families made their way to Scotland to work the potato and neep fields they
were distrusted and looked down on as they took jobs away from Scottish
families. They worked for less and worked faster and harder then even the
strong Scottish workers were able to do. Hardship and the "troubles" at home in
Ireland drove them to get work any were they could and landowners loved to hire
them and abuse them. Their children worked with them and school took  hiatus
until latter in the fall when all the harvest were in. This was not cruel
unusual behavior it was a mater of survival for a resilient people. I nor they
wore rose coloured glasses. It is hard to tell the spoiled potatoes with them
on and if you pick spoiled potatoes you were docked pay. I don't say any of
this to be rude it is just the way it was for the people of Scotland and
Ireland. I talked to them and asked many questions about their history and how
they view themselves and  I grew to honour and respect them deeply. It is hard
for us to understand them and their circumstances if we have not live as they
lived.

Cheers

Ron McCoy