Marion, Ancestry and other autosomal tests do not follow the surname like a
Y-DNA test does. From your message, I took that as one of your goals and
was suggesting that if you do test another male, you purchase a 67 marker
test. Y-DNA, which follows ONLY the paternal line, is tested at marker
levels: at 12 markers lots of people match, but it's so far back in time it
is pretty useless (in fact, I don't know if it is sold anymore), 25 markers
is only slightly better, at 37 markers some knowledge is gained, but for
real questions 67 markers is better and can confirm relationships. After
that, it gets into real $$$ for more complex questions. It's always best to
ask the admin of a surname project, because they can tell sometimes by what
you DO know, what is the most cost effective way to go. Especially with the
holiday sale on right now, it makes sense to get more bang for your buck.

See if this helps:
https://www.familytreedna.com/products/y-dna#/compare

Sorry if I threw you a curve ball and misunderstood what you were trying to
determine.

Cheers,
Kathleen

--
*Cuimhnigh ar na daoine ónar tháinig tú*
*"Remember the men whence you came."*