You won’t get a birth certificate forMichael Meehan because his birth was long
before the start of statutory birthcertificates in Ireland (1864). Prior to
1864 we generally rely on churchrecords but in this case if he was born near
Carrickmore (Termonmaguirk parish)in 1831, their baptisms don’t start till
1834, so there won’t be a baptismrecord to find. So you probably won’t find any
documentary record of his birthor baptism.

Family in 1901 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Athenree/Tremoge/1747785/

I see births for sons John on 26.5.1873,James on 8.6.1878 and daughter Alice on
17.9.1867 (where mother’s maiden nameis recorded as Morrow). Mary Meenan’s
death was registered in Omagh 8.7.1900aged 50.

You can view the above certificates free onthe irishgenealogy site
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.iesave for John’s in 1873 which appears in
the indexes but isn’t on the website.In that case you best bet is probably to
view it on the GRONI website. They doappear to hold a copy there.

I searched for the 3rd son’sbirth but did not find it. Could it have been pre
1864 Ie before statutoryregistration)? In which case you would need to rely on
church records. TheCarrickmore parish records for 1834 to 1857 are on-line on
the nli site but therecords for 1858 onwards are not. So if the marriage and
the birth of the firstson fell in the period 1858 to 1863, then the church has
the only copy.

Note that in both the 1901 census and thevarious statutory records I have
referred to, the surname is recorded as Meenannot Meehan.

Michael Meenan’s farm is listed inGriffiths Valuation for 1860. It was plot 18a
in Griffiths and was a 29 acrefarm. That property today is near the junction of
the Termon and Coolbrackroads, outside Pomeroy.

Griffith's Valuation

|   |
Griffith's Valuation
   |  |

I notice Morris households in and around Tremoge so it's possible Michael
married the girl next door.

I am sorry that the person responsible forthe church records was not as helpful
as they might have been. Churches here doget a lot of genealogical requests
and, in my personal experience, there havebeen several unfortunate incidents
involving people defacing entries andripping pages out of registers for
whatever reason. Since these are theoriginal records some custodians are
understandably cautious about othershandling them.

It’s probably also worth trying to manageyour expectations here. I think some
people expect churches to hold lots ofdetailed records on their congregations.
They usually don’t. The birth andmarriage records are often all they have (for
the 1800s anyway). Few RCchurches kept burial records, and there was rarely a
written record forgraveyards of where people were buried. (The gravediggers and
most of thepopulation were largely illiterate. Written records were no use to
them). Theinformation on where families were buried was kept in people’s heads,
butobviously was lost when they died or moved away.

Elwyn