Ed.

From: CoTyroneList [mailto:cotyronelist-boun...@cotyroneireland.com] On Behalf
Of elwyn soutter via CoTyroneList
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 4:56 PM
To: CoTyroneIreland.com Mailing List
Cc: elwyn soutter

JoAnn,

You haven’t said what denomination your McQuade family was but looking at the
1901 census for Tyrone all 131 were RC so I’ll assume yours were too.

I searched the rootsireland records for any McQuade children born in Tyrone in
1830 +/- 10 years to parents named Dominick and Susan. I did not find any. I
also checked the Ancestry RC records and likewise didn’t find anything. The
problem may be that the parish your ancestor came from may not have records for
that period. That wasn’t uncommon.  Many RC parishes didn't start keeping
records till the 1820s or later. There are few other records to refer to at
that period.

I checked the tithe applotment records for Tyrone for the period 1825 – 1835.
They should list anyone with land (the tithes were essentially a land tax).
There was no Dominick McQuade listed suggesting your ancestor probably wasn’t a
farmer.

Statutory death registration started in Ireland in 1864. I searched the stat
records for  Co Tyrone for a Dominic(k) who died 1864 – 1901 but did  find any.
Likewise for Susan, I found just 2 of the right age. One was a spinster who
died  in 1884 aged 72 and the other who died 23.5.1899 aged 75 was the widow of
Patrick McQuade. So, if they came from Tyrone, it appears that your ancestors
both died before 1864. In which case there may be no record of their deaths.

I also searched Griffiths Valuation (c 1860) for Dominick and Susan McQuade
(and variations) but did not find either. That also suggest both were dead by
that era.

Possibly DNA testing may be a way of matching with others who have additional
information about where the family originate. Family Tree DNA reportedly has
more people with Ulster roots than any other company. That obviously increases
the chances of finding a match. You might want to try them or, if you have
already tested, you can transfer your results to them for no fee.

The North of Ireland Family History Society is running an Ulster DNA project in
conjunction with FTDNA and can offer testing kits at a reduced price.
<http://www.nifhs.org/> http://www.nifhs.org (Go to DNA project on the website).

Elwyn

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 at 21:16, joAnn via CoTyroneList