Another possible problem of having a tachometer indicating 100 - 200
rpm low is that a person may be actually running their engine over
redline without knowing it.  This could reduce the life of the engine
substantially.  A device called a Tachcheck was being sold in a booth at
Oshkosh last year, (and probably this year, but I was not looking for
it) and my mechanic bought one.  It sold for (I think) around $200 and
was very easy to use, with a guaranteed 1% accuracy.  I could ask my
mechanic if anyone would like the information on it, possibly to pass on
to their mechanic.
        My tach, by the way, indicated right on, but had been recently
overhauled.

Syd Cohen
NC94196