Hi Gang,

Received a little mail from the FSDO saying that tests on a bunch of
planes
showed that many older tachs are indicating  from 100 to 200 rpm low.
This
means the pilots with these tachs are running their engines at higher rpms
than needed and these inefficient power setting consume more fuel than the
gain in speed warrants.  Seems fuel exhaustion  - even though the figures
indicated the fuel on board should have been adequate for the trip - due
the higher rpms has caused a few accidents.

 Went on to say that the tachs only maintained accuracy for a year or two;
should make all of us with our 50 year old planes ( and most probably
tachs
that have never been calibrated since new)  feel good.  Course in the
Coupe
you always have the good old wobbly stick on the tank up front to tell you
when the gas is going down and that you should too.  But being real cheap,
I want to know (especially now that I have the 100 hp O-200) when I'm
actually using the correct rpms to develop the 65/75 or 85% power setting
shown in the books.  Anyone know of  anyone in the Oregon area that has a
calibrated strobe tach that can be used to verify in-plane tach accuracy
without removing it and sending it in for calibration.  If so, we could
possibly arrange to use it at one of our fly-ins and verify the tachs on
all attending planes in short order.

Got the knee joint fixed on the plane and actually test flew it for about
an hour last friday, then came down with a bad case of strep throat when
the good weather showed up and have been inside all week.  If I get over
this Strep in time will join all for a good lunch in Albany at 1pm this
Sunday.  Bring extra money since Bob will have the new shirts and caps!

Dan N2735H