On 2021-07-18 02:55, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
PICCORO McKAY Lenz writes:

El vie, 6 de mar. de 2020 a la(s) 18:49, Sam Varshavchik
(mr...@courier-mta.com) escribió:
> There is no law that says all sql records must have the same uid or gid, > either explicitly or the SQL query in the configuration file hardcoding them.

In fact documentation lacks that uid and gid must match directory of
maildir, https://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/README.authmysql.html it
not poin "required"m but if you dont input the uid and gid
virtualusers never work, cos we need to know the owner of the mail box
for delivering.. same problem with maildrop and spamassasing
integration for virtual users

Courier cannot alter the fundamental way that Linux/BSD/others work. It is no different than any other program or process. And this is how permissions have worked, for over 50 years, dating back to the original UNIX. A process can only read or write a file, or a directory, if it has permissions on it, which is determined by the process and the file's uid and gid.

If the file, or a directory, does not have global read/write permissions, if it is readable or writable only by a process with the same uid/gid, then you must arrive at this conclusion, and figure this out without really needing any documentation that spells this out.

That a Courier method for non-UNIX authentication has
particular requirements/assumptions for the corresponding
UNIX uid/gid is entirely Courier specific, as the relevant
Courier daemons are presumably started by root and can
design their internal management of UNIX uid/gid values
in many different ways within the limitations of the
setuid/setgid system calls on the actual UNIX variant.

Such assumptions/requirements need to be documented, even
if they happen to be a consequence of a specific code and
process structure and how that interacts with the uid/gid
system calls.

Other multi-user daemons such as Exim and Apache already
document their uid/gid settings and requirements.

Enjoy

Jakob