On 2022-06-06 at 17:58 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> PICCORO McKAY Lenz writes:
>
> > why not to be in sync with debian oficial packages, as i know the mantainer
> >
> > are also in this mail list
>
> Their purpose is different. What's packaged in Debian or Ubuntu tends
> to be older versions; and there have been occasions where people
> wanted something new from the current version, that's not available
> in the older versions.
>
> There isn't much of a use case of mixing and matching. You either
> want what's in the distribution, or you want the latest and greatest.
> If you're ok with building and deploying the just-released version of
> courier then it stands that the same goes for courier-unicode and
> courier-authlib.

I think the point was to have the debian packaging in sync, not that
the generated package would be an old one.

I haven't looked yet into the native deb packaging, but it would indeed
be desirable that the resulting packages are as "compatible" as
possible with the official ones, as in, that the package manager
produces a working courier no matter which packages were already
installed or the user switches to (it is not necessarily that they
could be mixed, only that the package manager sorted them out).

Best regards