Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>> As you can see, the coutiertcpd is getting built, and the couriertls
>> man page is there, but couriertls is not getting built. A make in this
>> directory does nothing (returns straight to another prompt) as
>> expected since courier-imapd has been compiled and installed.
>

> See config.log.  The SSL wrapper gets built only if OpenSSL libraries
> are detected by the configure script.  Availability of OpenSSL libraries
> is determined by trying to compile a test program.  The compilation
> failed and couriertls build was disabled.

Sam,

OK, some progress here. It had a proggy that wasn't compiling, so I looked in
the Makefile and noticed '-lssl' so I changed that to '-lopenssl'  Then I made
the same change in Makefile.in, so it would last, then I went to the main root
courier-imapd build dir, did a 'make clean', configure'd, make'd, make
install'd, and make install-configure'd.

Still didn't work, but now tcpd/config.log doesn't show any errors:
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:564: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:617: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:674: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:713: checking for working aclocal
configure:726: checking for working autoconf
configure:739: checking for working automake
configure:752: checking for working autoheader
configure:765: checking for working makeinfo
configure:785: checking for gcc
configure:898: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:914: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
configure:940: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler
configure:945: checking whether we are using GNU C
configure:973: checking whether gcc accepts -g
configure:1016: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:1069: checking whether ln -s works
configure:1092: checking for ranlib
configure:1123: checking for sed
configure:1165: checking for env
configure:1223: checking for dlopen in -ldl
configure:1300: checking for socket in -lsocket
configure:1344: checking for socket in -lsocket
configure:1389: checking for connect in -lsocket
configure:1433: checking for connect in -lsocket
configure:1495: gcc -o conftest -I./.. -I.. -Wall -g -O2   conftest.c   1>&5
configure:1580: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:1660: checking for ANSI C header files
configure:1768: checking for dirent.h that defines DIR
configure:1806: checking for opendir in -ldir
configure:1892: checking for sys/types.h
configure:1892: checking for sys/time.h
configure:1892: checking for sys/stat.h
configure:1892: checking for sys/wait.h
configure:1892: checking for unistd.h
configure:1892: checking for fcntl.h
configure:1892: checking for sys/ioctl.h
configure:1892: checking for syslog.h
configure:1929: checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included
configure:1966: checking for pid_t
configure:1999: checking for uid_t in sys/types.h
configure:2033: checking return type of signal handlers
configure:2078: checking for setpgrp
configure:2078: checking for setpgid
configure:2131: checking for setpgrp
configure:2175: checking whether setpgrp takes no argument
configure:2256: checking for socketpair
configure:2315: checking for SVR3 stream pipes
configure:2352: checking for SVR4 stream pipes
configure:2459: checking for stream pipes
configure:2463: checking for SSL_load_error_strings in -lssl

Any ideas?

Phil
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin, 1759