Hiya Jesse.
Well, I -could- do that.. except for a small problem. the mail clients I
need to support prevent me from doing this:

MS Outloook doesnt support CRAM-MD5, only plaintext or nasty MS business.
Mac OS X mail cannot do SMTP over SSL...

so only way to do securley authenticate people was:
1) IMAP over SSL, using plaintext login, and then

2) SMTP-after-IMAP (with or without SSL depending on your client)

My hand is kind of forced.

I will use 'smtp-poplock' for the job probably, but just wondered if
there were any other solutions that would suit courier even better?

Cheers all.

b.t.w. Jesse,  ESMTP is fairly easy to switch on in Courier. Just add
your authmodule to the list in the etc/esmptd file, and put REQUIRE_AUTH
to 1.. presto. (mileage does vary depending on which type of
authentication you use.. you can't use CRAM-MD5 with unix passwords for
instance, as CRAM needs an unencrypted version of the passwd to work
with)